RECENT ESSAY QUESTIONS 2018-19
1. Some people say that art subjects such as music, drama and creative writing are an essential part of education, and every school should include them in its syllabus. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give your opinion and examples from your own experience.
2. Money should be spent on creating new public buildings such as museums or town halls rather than renovating the existing ones. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
3. All the people in a company should be treated equally and provided with the same number of holidays in a year or people doing different jobs enjoy different amount of holiday time. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
4. Some people say that a person's success is as a result of the way he has been brought up by his parents. Do you agree or disagree?
5. Public celebrations (such as national days, festivals etc) are held in most countries. These are often quite expensive and some people say that governments should spend money on more useful things. Do you agree or disagree?
6. Some people prefer to buy local products while others prefer international products. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
7. Some people say that children given pocket money every week will have lesser money problems when they become adults. Do you agree or disagree?
8. More and more people are opting for ready-made food instead of freshly cooked food. Do this development has more advantages over disadvantages?.
9. Today, many big cities in the world are increasing in size. What are the problems associated with it? What are the solution to these problems?
10. Some young people are leaving countryside to live in cities or towns, it leaves only old people in countryside. What are the problems of this issue? What can be done to solve this problem?
11. Many people believe that learning a foreign language is a very difficult task. What are the most difficult things about learning a foreign language? What is the best way to overcome them? Explain and include your personal experience or knowledge of these problems.
12. Some people think high-end technology can prevent and cut down the rate of committing crime. Do you agree or disagree?
13. Some people feel that courses can make anyone a teacher, while others feel an excellent teacher cannot be made by pursuing a course. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
14. Some people think that high salary is important when choosing a company to work for, while others think that good working atmosphere is more important. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
15. Some people encourage young children to leave their parents house as soon as they become adults while other say children should stay at their parents house as long as possible. Discuss both the views and give your opinion.
16. Many countries thought that children have to do homework in their free time while other say children should do more outdoor activity. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
17. In today’s times internet is making it easy to study online from home. Some prefer online courses to study and they think it is better. Others prefer classroom education. Discuss both views and share your opinion.
18. Successful companies use advertising to make more sales. What can make an advertisement very effective? Do you think this is a bad thing or a good thing for the society?
19. Science will soon make people live up to 100 or even 200 years. Some believe this is a good thing while others disagree. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
20. Some people believe that after hundred years life will be easier for most of people, while the others are unsure. What is your opinion?
21. Some people think it is important to spend a lot of money on a wedding celebration, while others disagree. Describe both views and give your opinion. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
22. Some people think that giving gifts and presents to friends and family is important to show them that we care. Others think that there are more important ways. Discuss both and give your opinion.
23. The media is increasing interest in famous people who have ordinary backgrounds. Why do you think people are interested in the lives of famous people? Do you think this is a good thing?
24. Some people prefer activities and lifestyle in hot climates while others prefer activities and lifestyle in cold climate. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
25. Online education and training is becoming increasingly popular in the business world. Do the advantages of this development outweigh the disadvantages?
26. More and more parents are allowing their children to play on computers and tablets as they think that children should learn technology skills. Do the advantages of this development outweigh the disadvantages?
27. People are living in a 'throwaway society', using things for a short time and then throwing them away. What are the causes of this? What problems does it lead to?
28. Nowadays children mostly spend time playing computer games rather than sports. What are the reasons for this? Is it a positive or a negative development?
29. Scientists agree that many people eat too much junk food and it is damaging their health. Some people think that this problem can be solved by educating people, while others believe that education will not work. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
30. Many people believe that TV news and media in general have a detrimental effect on our life. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give your own opinion, including relevant examples.
31. Many famous athletes advertise different products. What are the advantages and disadvantages of it?
32. Nowadays people try to balance their work with other things in life, but only some could actually achieve it so far. What are the reasons for that? How can we solve this problem?
33. Today, most people get married and give birth in their thirties rather than when they are younger. Is this a positive or negative development?
34. Shops should give preference in selling local food rather than imported food. Do you agree or disagree?
35. Many countries consider eighteen year olds to be adults, while other countries don’t. What do you think about it? Give your opinion and some relevant examples based on your own experience.
36. Some people think that the media (newspapers) have the right to publish details of people’s private lives, while others think it should be controlled. Discuss both views.
37. Some people think that activities during the free-time should be planned while others disagree. Discuss both sides and include examples and relevant data from your own experience.
38. In some countries an increasing number of people are suffering from health problems as a result of eating too much fast food. It is therefore necessary for governments to impose a higher tax on this kind of food. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? You should use your own ideas, knowledge and experience and support your arguments with examples and relevant evidence.
39. Today more people are overweight than ever before. What in your opinion are the primary causes of this? What measures can be taken to overcome this epidemic?
40. In most parts of the world people are living longer. What are the possible causes of this situation? Is this a negative or positive development?
41. Today, the internet and TV have created that chance for ordinary people to become famous. Is it a positive or negative development?
42. Nowadays food has become easier to prepare. Has this change improved the way people live? Give reasons for your answer using your own ideas and experience.
43. Nowadays many people believe that children should be taught history in schools, however, others argue that children should learn subjects that are more helpful for modern everyday life. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
44. Some parents believe that a child should not waste time by reading entertainment books, instead they should spend time to read educational books only. What is your opinion about this?
45. Some people think that young children need to attend nursery before primary school. While others believe young children can spend all day at home. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
46. Some people believe school children should be given multiple short vacations while others believe they should get one long vacation. Give advantages of both and your point of view.
47. Some people think that the advantages of advertising sports products through famous sports players outweigh the disadvantages. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
48. In our society, there is far more attention on men's sport than women's sport. What are the reasons for this? Do you think that this is positive or negative development?